Photo: Carlos Porto (flickr)
Ever wanted to start a book club with your friends? Do you already have a book club, but need some fresh, new ideas?
Why not start a science book club!
Don’t raise your eyebrows just yet… Science writing may not be as dry as you think!
Quantum Physics For Beach Bums
When you think of science books, you will probably have some unpleasant flashbacks to your high school physics textbook. But the truth is, there is a whole world of exciting science writing that will not only keep you entertained, but help you understand science in new ways!
In recent years, science writing has really taken off. Wonderful nonfiction works have been written by some of the most brilliant scientists of our time. These scientists are not only experts in their field, but they are also gifted story tellers who write in a smooth, literary style. This means you can read about tough scientific subjects with enjoyment and leisure. Think, quantum physics for beach bums!
Titles To Test
There are hundreds of science best-sellers out there. Just poke around the science section of your local bookstore or read some online reviews. To get you started, here are some of the hottest science titles for 2010:
- How To Defeat Your Own Clone… And Other Tips For Surviving The Biotech Revolution (2010) by Kyle Kurpinsky and Terry D. Johnson
- The Grand Design (2010) by Steven Hawking
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements (2010) by Sam Kean
- Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void (2010) by Mary Roach
- Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success (2010) by Matthew Syed
- Bursts: The Hidden Pattern Behind Everything We Do (2010) by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (2010) by Rebecca Skloot