Give Now

A Moment of Science

Lightning Helps Fertilize The Soil

In addition to providing a spectacular light show, and scaring us to death, lightning also helps fertilize the soil.

lightening strikes

Photo: Brian Leon (Flickr)

Isn't this an amazing lightening strike!

Our bodies need protein, and proteins contain nitrogen. The air we breathe has plenty of nitrogen to satisfy our needs. But—that nitrogen is not available to us directly from the air. The only way we can get nitrogen is from the plants we eat, or from the animals we eat that eat the plants.

Here’s The Problem…

A nitrogen molecule in the air consists of two atoms which are held together very tightly. In order for us to absorb nitrogen, the two atoms must be separated. But the two atoms are held together so tightly that our body chemistry does not have enough energy to process them.

This is where lightning comes in. Obviously we don’t have to be struck by lighting in order to satisfy our need for nitrogen!

However, in a thunderstorm there is enough electrical energy in lightning to separate the nitrogen atoms in the air. Once the atoms are separated they can fall to earth with rain water, and combine with minerals in the soil to form nitrates, a type of fertilizer.

The nitrogen-containing nitrates in the soil are absorbed by the plants, and when we eat the plants or the animals which eat the plants, we get the nitrogen in a form which our bodies can use.

So, in addition to providing a spectacular light show, and scaring us to death, lightning also helps fertilize the soil.

  • William F. DeVault

    Um, can we spell lightning correct here?

  • dimitri poppeliers

    A spectacular but apparently not a major source of nitrogen fixing @ 5%.  So what are the other 95%?

  • bananaboat

    Microbes in the soil play a huge role, both the kind that decomposes organic material as well as the kind which lives in symbiosis on plant roots.

  • zed

    Shut the fuck up you spelling Nazi

  • Ariel Pelismino

    i wondered how lightning balances the electrical charges in the atmosphere; i know but a little only that lightning is needed to make nitrogen in the air but i don’t know how, until i read this article. very informative.

Stay Connected

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from A Moment of Science:

Support for Indiana Public Media Comes From

About A Moment of Science

Search A Moment of Science