The key to this salad is slicing the red onions (and the hot pepper) as thinly as possible.
The other ingredients can be roughly chopped. You'll experience explosions of flavor from the big chunks of mint and parsley. This will also prevent the herbs from dissolving into the salad.
A warm and toasty slice of pita bread is the perfect accompaniment for the onions. Add whatever else you like, from baby cucumbers and goat cheese to tomatoes and olives. Finish it off with a healthy sprinkle of olive oil.
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible
- 1 serrano chili, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- several fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- Toss together the onions and the salt. Let sit for 8-10 minutes, then rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Toss onions with the rest of the ingredients and adjust seasoning to your taste.