This is a perfect snack for a Midwestern high tea. It features flowers you might already be growing in your garden. (Be sure to use blooms that have not been treated with herbicides!)
Start by making a compound butter with lemon and garlic. That will serve as the glue for our colorful petals and leaves.
Add one last Midwestern touch to your tea party with this down-home sun tea.
Flower Finger Sandwiches
- several marigold and nasturtium leaves and petals
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, smashed into paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- pinches of salt and pepper
- basil leaves (garnish)
- Combine garlic, lemon zest and juice with butter. Season with small pinches of salt and pepper.
- Toast slices of rye bread. Spread with butter.
- Place nasturtium leaves and marigold petals on buttered toast. Garnish with a couple basil leaves.