Just in time for Halloween, it's a program featuring some of the spookiest numbers from the Great American Songbook. We’ll hear some familiar tunes about spells, ghosts, and witchcraft, sung by Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, and Frank Sinatra. We’ll also hear some novelty Halloween songs by Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross and Louis Armstrong. And Mel Tormé will bring us an eerie number often curiously referred to as the “Hungarian Suicide Song.”
Songs Featured on this Episode:
- Sallie Blair, "That Old Black Magic"
- Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross, "Halloween Spooks"
- Kay Starr and Billy Butterfield, "The Headless Horseman"
- Louis Armstrong with Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra, "The Skeleton In The Closet"
- Mel Tormé, "Gloomy Sunday"
- Mel Tormé, "The House Is Haunted (By The Echo Of Your Last Goodbye)"
- Billie Holiday, "(I Don't Stand A) Ghost Of A Chance With You"
- Billie Holiday, "Ghost Of Yesterday"
- Peggy Lee, "Riders In The Sky"
- Nina Simone, "I Put A Spell On You"
- Jo Stafford, "Haunted Heart"
- Anita O'Day with The Gene Krupa Orchestra, "The Walls Keep Talking"
- Jeanne Lee and Ran Blake, "Laura"
- Frank Sinatra, "Bewitched"
- Frank Sinatra, "Witchcraft"
- Artie Shaw, "Nightmare"
- Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, Night Creature: II. "Stalking Monster"