Photo: Adam P Schweigert/WFIU
Your house will smell amazing by the time this potion is ready to drink.
Something to remember is the alcohol cooks off as the wine mulls, so you might want to add a splash of vodka to this before serving.
To really spice up your night, serve this up in a caramel rimmed glass!
Warm Wine With Mulling Spices And Honey
Yield: 16 Servings
- 3 750 mL bottles of your favorite local red wine
- 2 cups light brown sugar, or to taste depending on sweetness of wine
- 1 cup honey
- 3 branches thyme
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 12 cloves
- 14 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons Aux Poivres spice blend
- 3 pieces star anise
- 3 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 oranges, sliced in half moons
- caramel-rimmed glasses (dip glass rims into a little honey, then into cinnamon sugar to create a caramel ring)
- optional: splash of vodka as needed
- Pour the wine, sugar, and honey in a non-corrosive (stainless) pot and bring to a simmer.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except the orange, in a cheesecloth, tie, and place in the warm wine. Allow to infuse for 10-15 minutes over heat and then add the oranges. Taste and adjust sweetness and spices; keep in a thermos.
- Serve in caramel-rimmed glasses with a splash of vodka as the final touch to add a little kick.
- Let mull for 45 minutes to an hour.
This recipe uses the Aux Poivres Spice Blend.