Gluten-Free Pie Crust
You can use sorghum flour if you have allergies to anything in the Gluten-free flour mix. Or, you can use this recipe with regular flour. Just skip the xanthan gum and use 3 tablespoons of milk. For the milk, I’ve used rice, soy, hemp, regular and skim milk and they all work fine. And, I like corn oil, or a corn/canola blend, but any kind of light vegetable oil will work.
- 1 1/3 cups Gluten-free flour mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Sift and measure the flour into a medium-sized mixing bowl, adding the xanthan gum. Add the milk and oil. Stir with a fork just until it comes together into a ball. It will be streaky.
- Roll out between two sheets of waxed paper, following the steps in the video. If you are making a double-crust pie, measure the ingredients into two separate bowls. (I don’t know why, but it never works as well to double the recipe.)
- Most pies bake about 60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Veggie Pot Pie
You can also use texturized vegetable protein (TVP) in place of the tempeh or tofu. Put one cup of filtered water in the microwave and heat to boiling. Pour over one cup of TVP and let sit while prepping the veggies. Stir in at the end before adding to the pie pan.
- 1 gluten-free pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom gravy or organic mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 package tempeh or firm tofu, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray. Put a large saute pan on medium-high heat and add oil. Add the veggies as you prep them. Stir with each addition.
- Scrub the veggies and dice them, in this order: onion, carrot, potato, sweet potato, celery, peas.
- Add the tempeh or tofu and stir. Put everything into the pie pan. Pour the gravy or soup over the top and mix well. Cover with the pie crust, cutting slits in the top as shown. Bake for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Courtesy of Recipe Renovator