Nothing says summer quite like strawberry shortcake. Even the sound of the word brings me poolside — Mix 107.7 blaring through the radio, and me dripping with hot feet in front of the ice cream truck.
As a kid I loved strawberry shortcake, and in my family, the dish was usually comprised of angel food cake topped with fresh cream and strawberries. I decided to try my hand at real shortcake biscuits and was pleasantly surprised!
The trick is to use a food processor to cut the cold vegan margarine quickly so that some buttery crumbs remain and to add the almond milk gradually while pulsing. The buttery bits will make the biscuits flaky and light, a perfect compliment to the thick layer of cashew cream.
Cashew cream is naturally sweet and so easy to prepare! Just be sure to allow a few hours for the nuts to soak.
Serve these shortcakes as a light finish to a evening of kebabs and corn on the cob. Summer has never been so sweet!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold vegan margarine
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 to 5 cups fresh strawberries
- Slice 3 to 5 cups fresh strawberries and place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse the four, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Add the margarine and pulse till fine crumbs. Slowly add the almond milk while pulsing until the dough holds together.
- Plop 6 to 8 spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool and prepare the cashew cream.
- 2 cups cashews
- Cold water
- Soak the cashews in cold water for a few hours.
- Rinse and place in a food processor or high powered blender. Cover the cashews with water (about 1 cup). Blend until very smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Add more water if you would like a thinner cream and add a few tablespoons of sugar if you want the cream to be a bit sweet. It's really up to you!
- Slice the shortcake biscuits in half and cover with cream and strawberries. Enjoy!