Root vegetables have helped sustain us through the cold winter months, but today, we’re cleaning out our root cellar in preparation for the spring bounty that’s right around the corner.
We have an easy recipe for Celery Root Salad. And two recipes using sunchokes… a savory soup and a light and creamy sunchoke sauce.
Sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes)
The Jerusalem Artichoke is neither from Jerusalem, nor does it look much like an artichoke. It’s actually a type of sunflower that grows in the eastern US and is cultivated for its tuber which is used as a root vegetable.
We have two recipes on the podcast today, both of which use the same set of ingredients (so you can just make one trip to the store and try out both preparations) — creamy sunchoke soup and a sunchoke puree that makes an excellent topping for game, fish, or vegetarian dishes.
Raw Celery Root Remoulade
Chef Orr says that people are often intimidated by the way celery roots look when they see them in grocery stores or at the farmers market. But they’re nothing to be afraid of!
“People from different ethnic backgrounds are probably familiar with a lot more root vegetables than Americans. But, the Europeans love celery root, ” he said. Here’s a great recipe for a raw celery root remoulade (or, in English: salad).
You can also easily make this dish vegan by using our recipe for tofu sour cream.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pound celery root – quartered, peeled, and coarsely grated just before mixing
- 1/2 tart green apple, peeled, cored, julienned
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustards, lemon juice, and parsley in a medium-sized bowl.
- Fold in the celery root and apple and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
News Stories On The Podcast
- New Study: Eating Veggies Does Not (Really) Reduce Cancer Risk
- After 50 Years, A Campaign To Retire Ronald McDonald
- Is The Soda Tax Getting A Second Chance?
- Caramelized Turnips And Pears With Real Maple Syrup
- Parsnip Cakes With Smoked Trout Salad
- Grandma Orr’s Polish Rutabaga Mash