This cake — made from simple pantry ingredients and in-season strawberries — can be enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike!
Personally, I love to put a layer of strawberries in the middle, but it does make the cake a little mushy. You can choose whether or not to sandwich them in there.
Vegan Strawberry Pound-Cake
- 6 ounces tofu, any firmness level
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 5x9 loaf pan.
- Blend tofu so it's not lumpy.
- Add 1 1/2 cups sugar along with the butter/shortening and blend until well combined. Then add
- flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Add vanilla, almond extract, and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the cake pulls out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine remaining sugar, water and strawberries in a sauce pan and bring it to a simmer. Reduce the ingredients down to a jelly, which takes about 30 minutes.
- Slather jelly on top of the cake and serve with more fresh strawberries!