For impromptu summer picnics and cook-outs, easy, quick salads are key. Just prepare a base of quinoa, orzo, or wild rice, toss in seasonal vegetables, herbs, and a splash of olive oil, and voila!
These salads are completely versatile, healthy, inexpensive and are good travelers on buses and bikes. Could you ask for anything more? (Oh, they also keep well in the fridge in the unlikely case that you have leftovers.)
Here’s one take on a quinoa salad that rings in the summer days with handfuls of fresh basil, sweet red pepper and crunchy cucumber. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
Basil Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups vegatable broth
- 2 cups fresh basil, chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced finely
- 1/2 red onion, sliced finely
- Salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- After rinsing, combine the quinoa and vegetable broth in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and cover for 15 minuites or until soft. Remove from heat.
- During this time, slice your vegetables into perfect shapes.
- Toss to combine, adding salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste.