This salad recipe from Chef Daniel Orr works well as a lunch or a light summer dinner. If you make the rice ahead of time, the salad comes together in minutes. The Rice Chef Orr talks about in the episode is from Native Harvest. Cooking the rice with bay leaves and orange peels add a lot of flavor. You can dry out the peels from your clementines or oranges, save them in a jar, and use them for seasoning throughout the year.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 strips of dried orange peel (optional)
- 2/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon torn Thai basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring to boil the wild rice and 3 cups of water with bay leaf, salt and pepper and dried orange peel (if you have it).
- Reduce heat to low and cook the rice at a low simmer until it pops and is tender throughout. This will take about 45-60 minutes, depending on the freshness of the rice.
- Once it is cooked, cool the rice in the pan with the lid on, to prevent it from drying out.
- Combine the cooled rice with the rest of the ingredients, just before serving.