It’s not often that a recipe calls for every part of the vegetable. This soup uses the whole radish, “tip to tail.” The soup is creamy and rich without being heavy, and the contrast of flavors and textures keeps it interesting. No one will even notice it’s vegan.
You can hear Chef Arlyn Llewellyn walk through all the steps on this episode of the Earth Eats Podcast .
- Garlic Poppy Seed Crouton Garnish:
- 4 slices stale whole wheat bread, torn into bite size pieces
- ½ cup peeled garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- Radish Garnish:
- 1 cup (approx ½ lb) of radishes, cut into quarters
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup hot peppers, diced
- 3 lbs radishes (cut into quarters)
- 3 cups of diced potato
- 4 cups radish greens (cleaned and chopped)
- 4 cups water
- 6 Tbsp miso
- 1 ½ Tbsp rice vinegar
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the radishes until finely minced. Place in a covered container in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Wipe out food processor well, and then place stale bread pieces into it. Pulse until crumbs are formed. Add the minced garlic and pulse until well combined and as small as possible. Transfer mix to a baking sheet. Add oil and salt to mixture and toss until well combined. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until mixture starts to brown and become crisp (approx 15-20minutes). Once cool, stir in poppy seeds and transfer mixture to an airtight container until ready to serve.
- In a medium to large pot, saute onions and hot peppers in oil until beginning to soften and onions become translucent. Add radishes, potatoes, greens, water, and miso to pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium low and maintain a simmer. Periodically stir and add more water if needed to maintain the same level. Simmer until vegetables are very fork tender. Removed from heat and allow to cool slightly. Blend soup (either with an immersion blender or in batches in a traditional blender). Stir in vinegar and salt to taste.
- Serve warm soup topped with a full layer of cold minced radishes and a generous sprinkling of garlic poppy seed bread crumbs.