Arlyn Llewellyn of Function Brewing Shares her recipe for Thai Yellow Curry Vegetable Soup. She shares this vegan soup for sampling at the Annual Soup Tasting at the Bloomington Community Farmers' Market on Saturday, November 4th at 10:30 am.
Llewellyn walks through all the steps on our podcast.
- Curry Paste
- 3 serrano chile peppers (or more or less for desired spiciness), diced
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves of garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 inch piece galangal (approx 1 to 1.5 oz)
- 1 inch piece ginger (approx 1.5 oz)
- Â½ tsp ground coriander
- 3 stalks lemongrass (only use inner tender core, discard rough outer stems), minced
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- Â½ Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro leaves/stems
- 5 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (we used sweet peppers, green beans, sweet potatoes, and kale)
- 3 Tbsp neutral cooking oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp white vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Pulse all curry paste ingredients in the bowl of a food processor until a paste forms.
- Heat cooking oil in a medium stock pot over medium-high heat for one minute.
- Add paste and briefly saute it in the oil until aromatic (approx 1-2 minutes).
- Add the mixed vegetables and briefly saute for an additional few minutes.
- Add vegetable stock to pot. As soon as the stock begins to boil, turn heat down to med-low and allow to simmer until all vegetables are tender.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in coconut milk, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Suggested garnishes include chopped cilantro, toasted coconut, toasted cashews.