It's late spring/early summer. While you wait for the tomatoes and peppers to ripen, make salsa with what you have on hand: strawberries and rhubarb.
The fresh raw rhubarb is tangy like lemon and crisp like celery. It's unique flavor makes a memorble salsa for serving over meats and fish (along with a drizzle of basil oil) or as a dip for tortilla chips.
- 4-6 fresh rhubarb stems
- Â½ of a red onion or sweet onion, minced
- 8-10 strawberries, diced
- Â½ of a jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Â¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Â¼ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- Combine all ingredients, toss and taste.
- Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve over grilled chicken, fish, or pork chops, or enjoy with tortilla chips.