Let's make refrigerator pickles!
No water bath necessary, but as the name implies, you will need to store these jars in the refrigerator. The vinegar and salt will keep the okra good for 6 months in the fridge.
We want to make these spicy, so in addition to red pepper flakes and smoked paprika, we're adding a generous dash of Sichuan peppercorns. They may look like relatives of the black peppercorns we have in our pepper grinders, but they're actually seed pods from a prickly ash tree. They're known for giving some heat to dishes, but they also give your mouth a numbing sensation.
Think of it like this... These peppercorns allow you to experience the full spectrum of a spicy flavor without the pain.
- 3/4 pound okra, washed and trimmed, leaving stem caps in tact
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt
- Â¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- Thyme branches as needed
- Combine the cider vinegar, salt, sugar, water, garlic, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, salt, and peppercorns to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Reduce the temperature and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pack okra tightly into the jars. Pour the hot brine over the okra, filling the jars to the top. Close lids and cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate at least one week before enjoying. Keeps up to 6 months in refrigerator.