Rice bowls are meant to be versatile. Jackie's bowl has many components, including gingered turkey meatballs, a Harissa-inspired sauce, oven-roasted crispy chickpeas and a spinach-tomato salad. Yours might have fewer components, or more, depending on your preferences and what you have time for.
The crispy chickpeas are seasoned with Ras el Hanout, a spice blend found in Tunisia, Moracco and Algeria. You can purchase it or make your own, or season your chickpeas simply with salt, pepper and paprika.
For the Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 egg
- Â¼ cup almond flour (or bread crumbs)
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger (pureed or finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (pureed or finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the Cauliflower Rice
- 1 T coconut oil
- 2 1 pound bags (4 cups) of fresh cauliflower âriceâ (you can also make your own by chopping fresh, raw cauliflower in a food processor into rice-size pieces (or a bit larger).
- 1-1 Â½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Seeds from one pomegranate
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Â½ teaspoon Ras el Hanout seasoning, or seasoning of your choice (paprika would work)
For the Harissa-Inspired Sauce
- Dry chile pepper (such as an arbol) reconstituted, or one fresh jalapeno plus tomato paste
- 12 oz of roasted red pepper (from a jar, or make your own)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 Â½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 Â½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of one orange
- Â½ can tomato paste (small can)
- 4 mint leaves
- Â¼ teaspoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice (adjust as needed, to taste)
For the Spinach Tomato Salad
- 2-cups Fresh spinach leaves, chopped small
- Â½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the ground turkey with the seasoning.
- Shape into one inch balls and arrange on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Use some of the meatbals for the cauliflower rice bowls, freeze the rest for other dishes.
Cauliflower Rice Instruction
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add the coconut oil.
- Sautee the cauliflower with the seasoning, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until the cauliflower is al dente (remember that it will keep cooking after the heat is turned off).
- Add pomegranate seeds and toss.
Roasted Chickpea Instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F and line a sheet pan with foil.
- Spread chickpeas out on the pan, and cook for 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove pan from the oven and toss with the oil and seasoning.
- Turn oven up to 400 F and roast the chickpeas for 10 more minutes.
- Be careful not to over cook them, you want them to be crispy on the outside, but not dry and hard.
Orange Harissa-inspired Sauce Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference (note that the mint flavor will get stronger as the sauce sits).
Spinach Tomato Salad Instructions
- Combine all ingredients.
- Add salad to the bowl when assembling.