These latkes are made in much the same way as traditional latkes, but with sweet potatoes in place of the white potatoes, and a surprising twist with the seasonings.
As with many of our recipes, you can play around with the ingredients. For instance, use wheat flour instead of chickpea, try a mix of sweet and white potato, or experiment with the seasonings.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup all chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Â½ cup chopped scallions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (approximately)
- oil for frying
- Grate the sweet potatoes coarsely. In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, cumin, scallions and salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs and just enough milk to the dry ingredients to make a stiff batter. Add the potatoes and mix. The batter should be moist but not runny; if too stiff, add more milk.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in a frying pan until it is barely smoking. Drop in the batter by tablespoons and flatten. Fry over medium-high heat several minutes on each side until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.