Classic cowboy chili and red-eye gravy recipes both have old coffee in them, so this cowboy from Columbus, Indiana decided to add some good espresso to this blend.
It is great for bison and all red meat game. Gives a wonderful roasted, smoky flavor to everything from burgers to game birds. Try it on ribs, grilled poultry and pork chops.
Columbus Cowboy Espresso Chili Rub
- 2 cups fresh good-quality espresso coffee, finely ground
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/2 cup ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Russian Red Spice Blend (see recipe)
- 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons orange peel, dried
- 1 tablespoon star anise, ground
- Place ingredients in a spice grinder and blend until they form a fine, consistent powder.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.