Granitas are simple frozen desserts and the perfect refreshment for a hot summer night. This one's made with coffee and a coffee liqueur (such as Kahlúa), with a hint of orange. You'll be surprised by how easy it is to whip up. Just plan ahead, so there's plenty of time to get it frozen.
- 2 cups warm strong-brewed coffee
- 1 oz Kahlua (or another coffee liqueur)
- Â½ cup sugar
- Â½ orange, using the juice and the zest
- Whipped cream and coffee beans for garnish
- Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar melts.
- Pour into a stainless steel pan and place in freezer.
- Stir every half hour until frozen.
- Once mixture is thoroughly frozen, fluff with fork and allow to âdry" in the freezer before serving. When served, granita should look like a fluffy pile of dry brown crystals.
- Serve in a chilled bowl, toped with whipped cream and cofee bean garnish