Making your own almond milk is easy, but does take planning.
You must soak the almonds overnight -- one cup of almonds in three cups of water. After processing the nuts in a blender, you can either drink it as-is or strain it through a nut-milk bag.
My family likes their almond milk strained, so I had to figure out a way to use the leftover almond meal. Currently, this banana bread recipe is our favorite.
If you want to make this vegan, like I do, here's a great recipe for a vegan egg substitute using flax seeds.
- 1 cup almond meal, leftover from making your own almond milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg substitutes (see above for vegan "flax egg" recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix together wet ingredients in another bowl. Slowly combine. Pour mixture into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let the loaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing.