11 people were killed and 120 sickened after consuming vinegar tainted with antifreeze at a Ramadan meal in China's western Xinjiang region.
State media Xinhua news reports the vinegar was stored in plastic barrels that previously held antifreeze, but an official investigation is still pending.
The poisoning happened Saturday night as Chinese Muslims gathered to break their daily fast in a village near the city of Hotan. All of the victims were gathering to break their daily fast that takes place during the month of Ramadan.
- Vinegar contaminated with antifreeze kills Chinese Muslims at Ramadan meal (Guardian)
- Contaminated vinegar suspected in death of 11 Chinese (NPR)