Photo: Clara Moore
This recipe comes from one of my talented vegan bakers, Molly Brady. Your friends will say, with wide eyes, “This is vegan? Are you sure!?!”
The apples balance the wonderfully rich chocolate and the brown sugar creates a delicious candy-like crust on this cake.
This recipe can be made with pears or peaches, too.
Vegan Chocolate Apple Upside Down Cake
- 3-4 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Use a tablespoon of the margarine to grease a 9×13 pan. Layer apples on the bottom of the pan, and add walnuts and brown sugar on top of apples. Dollop remaining margarine on top of the brown sugar.
- Combine soy milk and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside and allow to curdle for a few minutes. Add the sugar, oil, and extract to soy milk mixture. Beat until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. In two batches, stir in the wet ingredients, and then add chocolate chips. Mix just until no large lumps remain.
- Pour into pan and bake about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.