Cold marinated salads may bring to mind ideas of a summer barbecue, but who cares? Sometimes, even in the middle winter, I get a hankering for a refreshing cool vegetable dish.
Take a break from the winter roasting routine and enjoy an uncharred refreshing salad. Beets are grown in a wide range of colors and sizes, so choose any combination of tones for this recipe.
Boil each beet variety separately to ensure color retention. Let the salad marinate for at least a few hours before serving!
Marinated Beet Salad
- 1 pound golden beets
- 1 pound red or purple beets
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- Scallions or chives, to taste
- Salt, pepper and sugar, to taste
- Boil the beets whole in salted water until just soft when pierced with a fork. Remove the beets and let cool.
- Once cooled, peel and slice into quarters.
- Place in a large bowl with the vinegar, lemon juice and red onion, and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Mix and add sugar or salt to taste. Top with chives or scallions and serve!