Our previous two grilling episodes featured a lot of meat. So today, to please our vegetarian listeners, we’re grilling potatoes and veggies and pairing that with a Caribbean cole slaw.
This first dish cooks right in the coals of the grill, and you can essentially ignore it and let it cook on its own while you grill other items on top of the grill.
- olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 pounds of fingerling potatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, roughly diced (remove seeds)
- 4-5 scallions cut into 1/2” pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Par cook the potatoes. (Boil the potatoes until they are about 2/3 of the way cooked. Shock them in cold water. This process can be done a couple days in advance.)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Cover with olive oil and toss.
- Take three 1 1/2 foot long strips of aluminium foil. Overlap them to make one big square. Shiny side faces out.
- Spread out potatoes and other ingredients on the aluminium foil.
- Place one more long strip of aluminium foil overt op of veggies and roll the package into a tube shape.
- Place the veggie tube in the coals of the grill.
- No specific cooking time! Just keep them in the coals as you cook on top of the grill and remove them when you’re ready to serve all of the other food!
While we let the Hobo Potatoes cook in the coals, we’ll prepare our salad: a spunky Caribbean coleslaw using fresh-picked red and white cabbage.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted in a dry saute pan until lightly smoky
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cut chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, cut chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- 2 large carrots, cut julienne (in thin strips)
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, very roughly chopped, use stems, too
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Whisk honey, cider, lemon juice, cumin, curry, olive oil, and jalapeno together.
- Toss with cabbage, carrot, and onion and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add cilantro and season to taste.
Also On This Episode: Earth Eats’ Interview with Marion Nestle (of FoodPolitics.com)
More Summer Recipes (from Earth Eats)
- Upscale Summer Grilling: Duck BBQ With Petits Pois à la Française
- Summer Grilling, Part II: Grilling Tips For The Fourth of July
- Sweet Summer Beverages: Blackberry And Mint Tonic With Lime
- Stop Grunting and Slumping: Gingered Summer Berry Grunt