Photo: Eoban Binder/WFIU
Kale is all the rage these days with health-conscious folks. It’s no wonder why — Kale is a great source of dietary fiber, protein, iron and a whole slew of vitamins.
This recipe can be the beginning of your love affair with this leafy green. It has the satisfying crunch of potato chips and the bitterness cooks out in the oven.
You won’t be using the stems in this recipe, but that doesn’t mean you should mindlessly throw them in your compost. You can chop them up and put them in a soup, braise them with lentils, use them as skewers and even pickle them.
An important tip when cooking any type of green: don’t over salt! The kale will cook down significantly, and as I like to say, once you put it in, you can’t take it out.
Crunchy Curry Kale Chips
- 3-4 cups kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of kosher salt (only a pinch!)
- pinch fresh ground black pepper
- healthy pinch of curry powder
- healthy pinch of garlic powder
- Remove the kale leaves by running your fingers along the heavy stems. Leave the kale in large pieces as they will shrink in the oven.
- Massage oil and seasonings into kale. Spread kale onto cookie sheet
- Cook in a 250-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until crispy.