Give Now

Fight For I-69 Continues In Federal Court

I-69 Construction

Photo: Bill Shaw/WTIU News

CARR has filed a motion to stop construction of I-69 until a judge can rule on their pending lawsuit.

For many, the fight over I-69 in Monroe County ended Friday when the Bloomington, Monroe County Metropolitan Planning Organization voted to include the highway in its long range transportation plans. However, some road opponents are still fighting to the stop I-69.

Citizens for Appropriate Rural Roads members spoke out against I-69 at last week’s meeting as they had many times in the past; calling the road an environmental disaster that would destroy countless acres of wilderness. Though disappointed in the outcome of Friday’s vote, CARR continues to fight INDOT and the Federal Highway Administration in court.

CARR Attorney Mick Harrison has filed a lawsuit filed with the U.S. District Court, and says he’s hoping Judge Sarah Evans Barker will grant an injunction against INDOT.

“If that motion is granted, essentially INDOT and Federal Highway would have to cease work on the highway,” he says.

Harrison says INDOT has withheld key documents from the public regarding both the environmental impact of I-69, and alternative routes that were studied.

INDOT is expected to release key documents in the case Friday, and a new hearing could be scheduled within a month. INDOT did not return a call for comment late Tuesday.

Want to contact your legislators about an issue that matters to you? Find out how to contact your senators and member of Congress here.