Two Indianapolis police officers won’t face criminal charges for the June shooting death of an unarmed black motorist.
The decision announced Tuesday by a special prosecutor comes after the family of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey sued the city in September, alleging excessive force. Special prosecutor Kenneth Cotter says he found insufficient evidence to refute the officers’ claims that they feared imminent injury or death when they shot Bailey on June 29.
The FBI says it is continuing its civil rights investigation of the fatal shooting.
Indianapolis FBI special agent in charge Jay Abbott says the agency is working with Justice Department officials to determine whether Bailey’s federal civil rights were violated when he was killed.
Authorities say Bailey had been pulled over for a traffic stop when he suddenly drove off. After a short chase, Bailey crashed into a fence and tree. Officers Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard then approached the vehicle and fired.
Bailey’s family has sued the city, alleging excessive force. The lawsuit states the officers fired at least 11 shots at Bailey and four bullets struck him in the back.
Police said no gun was found at the scene, but they have provided no details on what prompted the officers to shoot.