Some of the 2012 Indiana State Fair’s concerts will not be at the Fairgrounds. The Fair Commission announced Thursday its major concerts will be held at Conseco Fieldhouse in downtown Indianapolis. Following the stage collapse at this year’s Fair, the temporary structure at the grandstand that had been used for major concerts will not be rebuilt.
Fair spokesman Andy Klotz says a long-term solution is in the works, but will not be ready for the 2012 event. All concert tickets will still include admission to the Fair and plans for a shuttle between the Fairgrounds and Conseco are being discussed.
Klotz says it is too early to speculate on the financial impact moving the concerts will have since none of the acts are even booked yet. But he points out that the Fair always budgets its major concerts on a break-even basis. Still, that does not take into account revenue from food and beverage sales that could be hurt if attendance drops as a result.