This week on the show, diamonds are Ether Game’s best friend! We’re looking at gold, gems, and jewels of all kind in a show called “Treasure Chest”!
Did you know…
- Gold is at the center of the opera Das Rheingold by Richard Wagner, after the dwarf steals the gold from the Rhine-maidens. It takes four operas and nearly 16 hours to resolve the conflict!
- The aria “Glitter And Be Gay” from Leonard Bernstein’s opera Candide has Cunegonde question her own honor, while bedecking herself with lots of jewelry!
- Georges Bizet’s other opera The Pearl Fishers is about a pair of friends and pearl divers on the island of Ceylon. The opera’s mostly famous for its duet “Au fond du Temple Saint.”
- Hidden treasure is at the heart of the opera The Gypsy Baron by Johann Strauss II. A famous excerpt from this opera is the Treasure Waltz, still performed at many Viennese concerts!
- The Ballad of Baby Doe by Douglas Moore dramatizes the life of Horace Tabor and his mistress, a real-life silver magnate from Colorado, who was involved in the political debate over the silver standard in the U.S. in the 19th century.
- Claudio Monteverdi was hoping to receive a pension as a gift for composing his seventh book of madrigals. Instead, he got a necklace!
See the full playlist below:
And don’t forget to check out our Treasure Chest Podcast this week, for an extra round of the show!