I worked on Anguilla for two years, so I’m fond of Caribbean flavors. I also learned to love cooking with yams!
We’re using the full-fat coconut milk for this recipe because you can’t get the luxurious mouth feel from the low-fat version. I’m also including some Spanish sherry vinegar called Xeres. It’s got a nice smoky flavor. If you don’t have the sherry vinegar, you could us cider vinegar instead.
West Indian Slam'n Yam Salad
Yield: serves 6-8
- 2 pounds steamed yams, peeled, cut into cubes and chilled
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup Spanish sherry vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and reduce coconut milk, honey and curry powder until the mixture is the consistency of heavy cream.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine remaining ingredients except the vinegar and lime in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the coconut milk mixture, lime and vinegar and toss to combine.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve topped with coconut flakes.