I have a nice shiny eggplant and some beautiful red and green peppers. I also pulled a young zucchini for this recipe. You can choose whatever vegetables you like for these breakfast cups. Any veggie you can scoop out and fill (like if you were doing stuffed vegetables) will work just fine.
While these are baking, consider whipping up a homemade pico de gallo. It’s as simple as combining chopped tomatoes, cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapenos, olive oil and salt and pepper.
Or, save the seeds and pith you scooped out of the veggies from your compost pile, and instead incorporate them into a sauce. In a pan, I added the vegetable scraps with a dash of tomato juice and chopped onion and garlic.
- red and green peppers
- olive oil
- tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the eggplant and zhuccini into 1 ½"-thick discs. Cut the peppers into quarters. Scoop out the seeds and set the seeds sides.
- Sprinkle cut and scooped vegetable cups with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast them for 30-35 minutes, or until they have reached your preferred roastiness. Remove from oven but keep vegetable cups on the pan.
- Crack an egg into each vegetable cup. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Add some tomato juice to the bottom of the pan. Cook until eggs have set, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with homemade salsa or tomato sauce.