I am not a fan of most of the vegan cheese I've tried. So, I combined a few recipes I found online -- mostly featuring ingredients I already had on hand. Now this recipe is a staple in my house.
If I want cheese to sprinkle, I skip the water. If I need something creamy (like for this Mac 'N' Cheeze), I add in some vegan cream cheese.
- 8 ounces cooked pasta
- 1 cup pasta cooking water
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- squirt of mustard
- squirt of lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup of vegan cream cheese
- Handful of breadcrumbs or tortilla chips, smashed up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to box directions and save one cup of the cooking liquid. You will add it to the cheeze for a creamier consistency.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into your high-speed blender in the order listed. (If you don't have a powerful mixer, soak your cashews overnight.)
- Mix pasta and cheeze together. Add some of the pasta water to the mix until it's to your desired creaminess. Spread into an oven-safe container. Top with breadcrumbs or smashed up tortilla chips.
- Cook Mac 'N' Cheeze in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until browned on top.