Naturally sweet and rich in beta-carotene, carrots are an excellent choice for adding color and crunch to your meals.
These Thai-inspired carrot pickles are a little tangy, a bit spicy and make a nice addition to your noodle bowl, salad or sandwich.
Thai-Inspired Carrot Pickles
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 Thai red chili, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup inseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar, or agave
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small sauce pot combine the vinegar, salt, sugar and water. Heat over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove brine from heat. Stir in the chili and garlic slices, anise and coriander seeds. Allow brine to cool slightly.
- Gently pour warm over the carrots and allow to steep for at least one hour.
- Transfer pickled carrots to a jar with the brine and all the spices.
- For best pickled flavor, store vegetables in an airtight mason jar for about 5 days in the refrigerator.