The French baking pumpkin we’re using in our recipe today is muted green in color, almost white. Like all pumpkins that are good for cooking, this pumpkin is very heavy for its size.
Savory Sautéed Pumpkin Slices
- 1 two-pound pumpkin, good meaty French variety
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- sea salt
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 lemons
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- Peel and seed pumpkin. Cut into 1/3-inch slices. Toss in olive oil. Toss spices, sugar and salt in another bowl and pour over pumpkin slices.
- Sauté in a nonstick pan until caramelized. Turn and color other side lightly. Remove from pan and season with lemon juice. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.