I make this a lot during cold and flu season at the restaurant. It is one of my secret witch’s brews that really does make you feel better.
But don’t wait until someone is feeling bad to make it. It is great to have on hand during any of your holiday entertaining.
It also makes your home smell wonderful.
By the way, if you want to feel even better add a slog of brandy, rum or bourbon and you’ll really have a smile on your face.
- 2 quarts (64 ounces or 8 cups) apple cider
- 15-20 sage leaves
- 6 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 medium naval orange
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 lemon- juiced
- ¼ C honey
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 tsp. turmeric or 2 slices fresh
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Additional cinnamon sticks for serving (optional)
- Pour apple cider into a 2.5-quart pot or crock pot. Add cinnamon sticks to cider.
- With a toothpick, poke holes all around the orange, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch apart. Carefully poke the cloves into the toothpick holes in the orange.
- Place orange into the cider in the slow cooker.
- Add lemon, honey, ginger, turmeric, ginger, and cayenne and mix well.
- Cook on low until hot and spiced through, about 20-30 minutes.
- Ladle into mugs along with an ounce or so of rum if using. Place a cinnamon stick in each mug if desired and serve.