The Work Pays Off
The hardest part of this recipe is preparing the pumpkin—namely, cutting it open! The stupid things can be a pain to slice. I had to enlist my boyfriend to do the cutting for me.
After you get it open, oven roasting is a slow process, but worth it for the delicious results. In the past, I steamed pumpkins, because it’s a quick way to cook them. But they seem to get waterlogged and soggy when you do this. Roasting the pumpkin will give you a nice texture—smooth to taste without falling apart.
Creativity On The Loose
This is a great recipe because, like most stir fry’s, you can change it up and make it your own. If you don’t have green beans, try steaming kale or broccoli instead. If you’re a meat eater, I think it would be delicious with some shrimp.
Feel free to experiment! First, you have to use recipes—but making your own changes and adjustments will give you the confidence you need to venture beyond the cookbook. At least, that’s what worked for me, and it’s made my experiences with cooking richer and more enjoyable.
Roasted Caramelized Pumpkin and Green Bean Stir Fry
Ingredients for Roasting:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 small quartered pie pumpkin (sugar pumpkin)
- 2 Tbsp turbinado sugar, 2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
Ingredients for stir fry:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound green beans
- Salt to taste
Method for Roasting:
- Rub the pumpkin pieces with olive oil, and place them in a large baking dish with water in the bottom.
- Sprinkle the sugar and spice mixture onto the flesh of the pumpkins
- Bake at 375 F for about an hour, or until cooked through
- Remove from oven and let pumpkin cool. Separate flesh from skin using a spoon.
- Slice pumpkin into bite-sized cubes.
Method for Stir Fry:
- Saute sliced onion in olive oil until aromatic and translucent. Sprinkle the flour over this mixture.
- Slowly add the broth into the pan, stirring as you go so the mixture can thicken.
- Add the green beans (ends removed) to the pan, and steam covered until cooked through. They beans should be bright green in color.
- Once the green beans are done, add in the pumpkin cubes, and steam for another 3-5 minutes or until warmed through.