In my experience, people are often intimidated by the way celery roots look when they see them in grocery stores or at the farmers market. But they’re nothing to be afraid of!
Here’s a great recipe for a raw celery root remoulade (or in English, salad).
You can also easily make this dish vegan by using our recipe for tofu sour cream.
Raw Celery Root Remoulade
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pound celery root, quartered, peeled, and coarsely grated just before mixing
- 1/2 tart green apple, peeled, cored, julienned
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Slice off the tough, brown skin of the celery root. Using a mandolin, julienne the celery root and apple (matchstick cut).
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice and parsley in a medium-sized bowl.
- Fold in the celery root and apple and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.