Garden fresh peas are only available for quick flash, just before the summer heat hits hard. Make the most of these spring treasures by highlighting their natural sweetness, and keeping it simple.
Try Chef Daniel Orr’s recipe for pea pods cooked in reduced orange juice, with a hint of zest.
- 2 cups fresh, whole pea pods, outer strings removed
- juice of one orange
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine orange juice, zest, agave syrup, salt and pepper into a large skillet or wok.
- Cook over medium high heat until reduced and thickened to a syrupy texture.
- Increase heat, add peas and toss in the mixture to even coat the pea pods.
- Cook peas, continuously tossing them, until just heated through.You want to keep some of the crispness of the pea pods.
- Remove from heat, and serve immediately, or spread them out on a plate and refrigerate to cool them, then serve as a salad.