I’m moving from the kitchen to the bar today!
Part of what I love about being a chef (and bartender!) is entertaining my guests, especially over the holidays. This interactive cocktail will get conversations started as revelers do the shaking themselves. I especially love using Ball jars as glasses, not just because they come with their own screw-on lids, but because they give an especially homey feeling to my get-togethers!
You can create any kind of shake-up cocktail using this basic premise — fill a Ball jar with fresh ingredients and local spirits. Just make sure the lids close tightly on the jars so when your guests start to shake, the cocktails don’t decorate their holiday best!
This recipe tastes like a cranberry apple martini. What kind of shake-up cocktail will you create?
Cranberry Apple Shake-Up
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped cranberries
- 1 large peel of orange rind
- several leaves fresh basil, crunched up to release essential oils
- 1 1/2 ounce Applejack liquor
- 1/2 ounce Clement Creole shrub rum (Grand Marnier or Triple sec)
- 1/2 ounce lemon or lime juice
- 1 peel of lime rind
- 1 1/2 ounce apple cider
- ice cubes
- club soda
- Ball jar and lid
- Combine first 8 ingredients into a Ball jar. Store jars in the fridge until your guests arrive.
- Right before serving, fill jars 3/4 full with ice cubes. Screw the lid on and tell your guests to give the jar a good shake.
- Add a splash of club soda for fizz. Enjoy!