In my house, we love the nutty flavor of quinoa. We’re also fans of the chenopod’s (quinoa is not a true grain) high nutritional content and the way it goes with so many different things.
At the end of each week, I have a routine of combining quinoa with my leftover veggies and some sort of sauce. This recipe is an especially eclectic blend.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup soy or teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup tricolored quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Sauté the onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, cabbage and carrots in a large saucepan until cooked to your satisfaction.
- Toast quinoa for about 5 mins until it smells nutty. Add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and then reduce to medium and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
- Once done, add quinoa to the sauteed veggies and stir to combine. Introduce peas, corn and soy sauce, and cook for about 2 minutes
- Turn off heat and add cashews for crunch.