Back in the day in England, they would milk the cow directly into the punch bowl — talk about local!
This eggnog recipe incorporates heavy cream, milk and half and half purchased from area farmers. We’re also using a local spirit for the booze: W. H. Harrison Bourbon, made in Brazil, Indiana.
I would always use the freshest, local eggs for eggnog. If you have any suspicion that the eggs might be old, don’t use them raw.
Eggnog, A Holiday Favorite
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon Sweet Seasons Spice Blend (or nutmeg and cinnamon mixture)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 4 egg whites, whipped
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- Combine egg yolks, sugar and lemon zest and beat for one minute or so.
- With a handheld spatula, fold in Sweet Seasons Spice Blend, whipped heavy cream and whipped egg whites.
- Finish by stirring in bourbon and milk or half and half.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg and enjoy!
This recipe uses the Sweet Seasons Spice Blend.