Some tips and tricks to make this recipe a success:
- Peel the eggplant to take away the bitter edge to the taste.
- Slice the eggplant into long strips. It will save you time when flipping it on the grill.
- Start making this recipe right now, because you’ll need to let eggplant marinate for one or two days!
We suggest topping these tacos with some Creamy Cilantro-Lime Slaw. It’s another make-ahead recipe, so give yourself a couple days before scheduling your Mexican feast.
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 canned chipotle
- 1 1/2 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle can
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 small eggplants, peeled, sliced into 1”-thick rounds
- Blend all ingredients (except eggplant) in a blender until a paste forms.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a large bowl and pour marinade over them. Toss by hand (gloves recommended) until all pieces are evenly coasted. Transfer eggplant slices and marinade into ziplocs or suitable container and allow to marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to prepare, take eggplants out of fridge and allow them to come to room temperature. Drain marinade off of eggplant slices and grill over medium heat. Once grilled, slice eggplant rounds into ½ inch strips.