Give Now

Earth Eats: Real Food, Green Living

Chipotle Under Fire In Boston After Students Become Sick

80 students have fallen ill in Boston after eating at Chipotle, causing the restaurant chain to close another store during the investigation.

At least eight students affected with E. coli and norovirus were from Boston College's basketball team.

Chipotle faces more bad news as 80 Boston College students have fallen ill after eating at a restaurant location close to the campus.

Last month, an E. coli outbreak in nine states forced Chipotle to close restaurants in the Pacific Northwest and inspect restaurants in California, Minnesota, New York and Ohio.

Students involved in the most recent outbreak have been tested for E. coli and norovirus, the most common cause of gastrointestinal illness in the U.S.

Chipotle released a statement saying they had closed the Boston-area Cleveland Circle store while the investigation is underway. They also pointed out the E. coli outbreak in Boston has not been linked to the previous outbreak.

The specific item or items that were contaminated have not been identified in this outbreak.

Read More:

  • Chipotle’s Safety Woes Worsen as Scores of Students Fall Ill in Boston (New York Times)
  • Boston College says students sick after eating at Chipotle (CNN)
Liz Leslie

Liz Leslie is a journalist based in Chicago. When she's not writing about food, she's likely eating food. Or dreaming about food.

View all posts by this author »

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Earth Eats:

Support For Indiana Public Media Comes From

About Earth Eats

Search Earth Eats

Earth Eats on Twitter

Earth Eats on Flickr

Harvest Public Media