This refreshing drink can be enjoyed as soon as the basil starts to flourish, and throughout the hot summer months.
Try adding berries for additional flavor and color. Start with strawberries in the early summer, and move onto raspberries and blackberries as they ripen in July and August.
- 1 cup bar sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup basil
- 8 lemons- juiced (about 1 ½ C)
- 3 cups ice water
- Ice and fresh basil sprigs to garnish
- Pour hot water, sugar and basil in a blender and gently pulse to bruise the basil and release its flavor and color.
- Strain through cheesecloth.
- Combine with juice and cold water and mix.
- Serve over ice with basil leaf garnish.