Boxty is a traditional Irish potato pancake. There are many different ways to make this dish, so don’t feel like you aren’t being authentic if you don’t follow this recipe to the letter.
My mom would make a similar potato pancake for breakfast whenever we had leftover mashed potatoes the night before. The best part is the crunchy edges!
Serve these with ketchup, sour cream, or whatever else you like on your taters!
Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty on the pan,
If you don’t eat boxty,
You’ll never get a man.
- 1 1/2 cups grated potato, skin on
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- Butter for frying
- Grate potato into a large bowl.
- Add flour and mashed potatoes and stir.
- Add egg and onion.
- Add milk or water for easy molding.
- Shape into pancake-size patties (2-3 inch diameter) and fry until golden brown on both sides.