It’s officially the weekend — cheers to that! I’m spending the morning getting a few things cleaned up around the house before my family gets into town this afternoon. We’re celebrating my brother’s birthday in Bloomington.
Whenever we have guests in town, I try to make sure our pantry and fridge are stocked with a variety of healthy and delicious snacks for their visit. We love taking people out to our favorite local restaurants, but I also like to have ingredients on hand to whip up quick meals if we feel like staying in.
Having a few breakfast items ready is especially important. Nothing is worse than waking up earlier than everyone else and having to wait around to eat breakfast when you’re starving. I usually get some English muffins or bagels, fresh fruit and yogurt that guests can help themselves to. And, I like to whip up this homemade granola, too!
I love throwing some granola into my yogurt or fruit because it makes me feel satisfied for longer. I only recently started making my own after looking at the sugar content of my favorite brands. Making the granola myself allows me to control the sugar content and throw in whatever I’m craving that week.
This combo featuring almond butter, nuts and coconut is my go-to recipe lately. It’s just slightly sweet and has the perfect amount of crunch. The great thing about granola is it only takes about ten minutes to make — so easy!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup cashews or almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine oats, coconut, nuts and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Place almond butter, honey and coconut oil in a small, heatproof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted. Stir until combined.
- Pour melted almond butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until well-coated.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Carefully spread granola across parchment paper. Bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool granola at room temperature before storing in an airtight container.