This week on Noon Edition, we discussed the growing need for volunteers in a down economy. Joining us in the studio were Bloomington Volunteer Network Director Bet Savich, IU Kelley School Civic Leadership Development Director Molly Barwick, and St. Charles School Principal Alec Mayer.
You can listen to the entire program by clicking the play button above. Some highlights:
- The Bloomington Volunteer Network offers volunteer opportunities for only the week of IU’s Spring Break, when many of its normal volunteers are away from the community
- Bloomington’s annual “Be More” Awards ceremony takes place April 27th.
- Volunteers are needed at Bloomington’s Big Brothers Big Sisters program, which maintains a waiting list of children (especially boys) who need a Big of their own.
- St. Charles School has begun collecting money to send to Haiti by selling $2 wristbands — almost $1400 worth.
- The panelists agreed the economy has slowed volunteer efforts.