Photo: Ragnhild Brosvik (Flickr)
Two pools of mosquitoes in Bartholomew County have tested positive for the West Nile Virus. They were discovered in the tree lined area off water street near the old water treatment plant. This is the first positive test reported in the county this year. Bartholomew County Health Department said they will be concentrating their mosquito control efforts in the areas where the virus has been detected beginning this evening.
“We will go out and larvicide standing water that we can find, we will then begin adulticiding the area,” said Matthew Galbraith, an environmental health specialist with the Bartholomew County Health Department.
The health department is urging property owners to insure that there is no standing water on their property, as stagnant water leads to mosquitoes. Mosquitoes also accumulate in areas where sewage water accumulates. Homeowners should repair all malfunctioning septic systems. They should also check flower pots, buckets, old tires and clogged gutters for any standing water. West Nile Virus is transmitted to humans by mosquitoes that have bitten an infected bird. Humans will show symptoms of the disease within three to fifteen days after being bit by an infected mosquito. These symptoms may be very mild, or not manifest at all. A few individuals may get a more severe form of the virus. These people may end up with encephalitis or meningitis. These would include symptoms of high fever, headache, stiff neck, muscle weakness, paralysis and confusion. Anyone with questions should contact their doctor or the Bartholomew County Health Department.