Terre Haute city officials say they hope to break ground on the Margaret Avenue corridor project in early 2008. Municipal engineers addressed public concerns about the project during a press conference Monday afternoon. They were responding to comments received from the public during a hearing last month.
Terre Haute communications director Pete Ciancone says the first phase of the $37-million project will address the heavily-traveled section between Third and Seventh Streets. He says another portion of the project, the railroad crossing at 19th and Margaret, will have to wait for a while.
But Ciancone says it’s not year clear whether the congestion caused by train delays at the 19th and Margaret intersection will be addressed via an overpass, or by a rerouting of the rails. He says the entire multi-million-dollar effort will likely take six to ten years to complete. According to Ciancone, the city hopes to fund the project through federal earmarks, tax increment financing, economic development income tax revenue, and state transportation enhancement grants. He says they don’t plan to use any city tax dollars to complete the project.